The impact on the global environment, including that from abnormal weather, has been increasingly serious year by year. To pass on rich nature to the future generations, it has become more important than ever to be fully aware that we live together with nature and thus to conduct business activities in harmony with the global environment.
Nippon Shinyaku recognizes its responsibility for its impact on the environment and has established the Basic Environmental Policy.
Basic Environmental Policy
At Nippon Shinyaku, our mission is to help people lead healthier, happier lives. When we seek growth, it should be growth in harmony with the natural environment. That is why we strive to protect, sustain, and improve the environment through eco-considerate business activities.
- We will effectively operate an internal organization responsible for environmental issues and establish clear targets for our collective pursuit of environmental conservation initiatives.
- We will comply with laws, regulations, and internal rules pertaining to the environment, and work at environmental conservation cognizant of our responsibility to society at large.
- We will maintain an accurate awareness of the impact of our business activities on the environment (e.g., global warming, depletion of resources, environmental pollution) and seek to continuously improve our environmental preservation activities and prevent pollution.
- We will train and educate all employees to recognize the imporatnce of environmental conservation and act in a responsible manner.
- We will be considerate of biodiversity when pursuing our business activities, and encourage the sustainable development of our society.
- We will proactively publish information about our environmental preservation activities, and communicate with our local communities and other stakeholders.
Environmental Management Organization
Nippon Shinyaku formulated the Nippon Shinyaku Basic Environmental Policy as a guideline for our environmental conservation activities. The Environment Committee, chaired by the Director, Head of Administration, was established to put this policy into practice and determines the direction and targets of our environmental preservation activities.
Environmental Targets Plan
The Environment Target Plan specifies specific targets to achieve the Basic Environmental Policy.
In the 5th Nippon Shinyaku Environmental Target Plan (FY2017 - 2019), all the targets were achieved.
Following the 5th Plan, we established the 6th Nippon Shinyaku Voluntary Environmental Targets (FY2020-2022). Through initiatives toward achieving the targets, we aim to improve our corporate value based on ESG management and help create a sustainable society by implementing SDGs.
The 5th Nippon Shinyaku Environmental Targets Plan (FY2017 - 2019)
|The 5th Nippon Shinyaku Environmental Targets Plan※1||Progress Toward Numerical Targets|
|Promotion of Energy Conservation and Global Warming Countermeasures||Reduce total energy consumption (GJ) in FY2019 to below FY1990 levels.||Reached|
|Reduce the CO2 emissions※2 basic unit※3 by about 40% from the FY1990 level by FY2019.||Reached|
|Saving Resources, Reducing Waste and Promoting the 3Rs||Reduce the final amount of landfilled waste by about 70% from the FY2005 level by FY2019.||Reached|
|Reduce the basic unit of waste generated※4 by about 50% from the FY2005 level by FY2019.||Reached|
|Keep the waste recycling rate at 55% or more by FY2019.||Reached|
|Promote green purchasing and procurement practices.||-|
- ※1 Progress toward numerical targets is evaluated on the basis of the sum total from the Head Office, Odawara Central Factory and Discovery Research Laboratories in Tsukuba
- ※2 Calculated using the actual CO2 emissions factor from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- ※3 Value of CO2 emissions (tons) divided by unit sales (100 million yen)
- ※4 Value of waste generated (tons) divided by unit sales (100 million yen)
The 6th Nippon Shinyaku Voluntary Environmental Targets (FY 2020-2022)
|Global warming alleviation||Reduce GHG emissions by FY 2030 by 25% from the FY 2013 benchmark.|
|Reduce GHG emissions by 6% by 2022.|
|Waste management||Reduce the final amount of landfilled waste by FY 2022 by 70% from the FY 2005 level.|
|Set the target waste plastic recycling rate for FY 2022 at 65%.|
|Set the target waste recycling rate for FY 2022 at 55% or above.|
|Chemical substance management||Promote appropriate management of chemical substances, including those designated under the Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Act, so as to continue reducing their release into the natural environment.|
|Environmental management systems||Continue the certification of the environmental management systems (ISO 14001 and KES Step 2) so as to effectively improve environmental performance.|
|Stakeholders||Actively engage in community service and promote ESG to contribute to the achievement of SDGs.|
|Disclose ESG information appropriately to society.|
|Promote community service related to the conservation of biodiversity.|
Environmental Management System
Our production site at the Odawara Central Factory targets continuous improvement in environmental performance as part of environmental management activities, based on a framework created using its ISO 14001-certified environmental management system. The environmental management activities for the R&D facility at our Head Office site are based on KES Environmental Management System Standard Step 2 (“KES Step 2”) certification.
In fiscal 2019, the Odawara Central Factory underwent its periodic review and the Head Office also had its annual document review and on-site inspection. No serious problems that would lead to environmental pollution were found, and each certification was continued.